Wind on Structures Analysis Spreadsheet to Eurocode 1
(EN 1991-1-4 2005 + UK N.A.)
Spreadsheet for calculating wind peak velocity pressure as well as wind pressure on eight types of structures, including: walls, roofs and canopies. The spreadsheet is very, very powerful; with great functionality but its use is very straightforward. All calculations are done automatically and more complex terms are explained with pop-up diagrams making it easy to understand/carry out the analysis.
The spreadsheet offers wind pressure analysis per location based on simplified (for beginners or conservative designers) or complex input like nearby buildings, nearby topography, structure orientation. Is for buildings/structures up to 200m tall therefore can be used on both, large and small scale projects.
Essential spreadsheet for every engineer.
- Can be easily used by a civil engineer, structural engineer;
- Includes pop-up diagrams that explain more complex definitions (e.g. building effective height) making it easy to use by a builder or a regular house owner;
- Covers eight types of structures: Free-standing walls, Vertical walls, Flat roofs; Monopitch roofs, Duopitch roofs, Hipped roofs, Monopitch canopies, Duopitch canopies (single and multi bay);
- A clear and easy to read output: one sheet giving wind pressure (wind peak velocity pressure) based on location and structure height etc; second sheet giving wind pressure for specific structure type;
- Can be used for simplified wind pressure analysis where orography, surrounding building etc are ignored;
- Offers option to carry out full wind pressure analysis including site topography (hills/ridges as well as cliffs/escarpments), structure orientation, nearby obstructions;
- For sites inside town and in countryside;
- Results are plotted on easy to understand diagrams with wind pressures per zone of wall, roof etc;
- All calculations are automated where possible, this includes size factors; dynamic factors; topography factors; turbulence factors; exposure factors;
- Site altitude, fundamental basic wind velocity (vb,map), distance to shoreline and distance inside town are automatically inserted from a database based on site location;
- Includes a pop-up window with easy-to-select seasonal factors;
- Probability factor is automatically calculated based on structure's design life;
- Calculations for free-standing walls include option to input sheltering factor;
- Includes calculations of friction force on surfaces parallel to wind direction;
- Design is based on Eurocode (EN 1991-1-4: 2005);
- UK National Annex used.
(Note: macros must be enabled for proper working of the spreadsheet. Follow instructions in this video)
The spreadsheet includes pop-up windows with diagrams explaining main aspects of the wind analysis. With these diagrams and descriptions there is no need to refer to the Standard during design making it easier and more efficient to complete calculations. Example of the pop-up windows in the spreadsheet:
To run the Single-User or the Company Licensed version of this spreadsheet you require:
- Microsoft Windows Excel version 2007 and above;
Contact me if you want to use this spreadsheet on MAC.