Timber Beam/Joist Design Spreadsheet to BS 5268: 2002
Essential spreadsheet for designing timber members. Due to its form, easy input and clear output it reduces time spent on designing.
- A clear and easy to read output (all on a single page);
- Design timber beam or timber joists with given spacing;
- Quick summary of utilization factors;
- Softwoods covered: C14, C16, C18, C20, C22, C24, C27, C30, C35, C40, C45, C50;
- Hardwoods covered: D30, D35, D40, D50, D60, D70;
- Oak grades covered: TH1, TH2, THA, THB;
- Glued laminated timbers (Glulam) covered: vertically glued, horizontally glued;
- Change timber class;
- Option to input notched ends;
- Loading options: UDL, 2x Partial UDL, 2x Point Load;
- 'Live' Loading diagram;
- Design is based on British Standard (BS 5268:2 2002).
(Note: macros must be enabled for proper working of the spreadsheet. Follow instructions in this video)
"Simply saying this spreadsheet made my life easier!" Linda K.
"Another excellent spreadsheet from workshop of Damian Janicki" Giuseppe
"For Loft Conversion Projects ? Ideal, no problems, easy to use and simple but detailed output to be employed. I have viewed & reviewed other similar design / calculation spreadsheets & was never impressed with how the data had to be inputted. I purcheased my initial spreadsheet last year & never once have I had the calculations rejected by Building Control in Cumbria." Malcolm Jones - Planning and Design Services
"This spreadsheet is great as it lets you carry out multiple calculations quickly, thus obtain quick results, as well as the ability to compare the results easily. It also allows the user to toggle between the different timber grades, so you can fine tune the calculations to obtain best value for the client. Great for performing multiple calculations, well worth the investment." Jeetendar Thukral - JK Consultancy Ltd
"What an easy way to size my joist for the loft conversion I am having done. As a project engineer, I can use AutoCad but nearly passed out when I was quoted for some to do the drawings and calculations. So glad I found these spreadsheets and they are so easy to use once you activate it. Will recommend this spreadsheet to anyone considering any work involving timber beams." John Denis - Retired Project Engineer/Manager doing a loft conversion
"As with all this series of spreadsheets, quick and easy to input and reliable output. Useful to quickly compare alternative section sizes, often changed by availability at the construction stage. Another useful and productive tool." David Annakin