Soakaway Design Spreadsheet to BRE Digest 365
(Dry Well, Infiltration Tank, Recharge Basin)
Spreadsheet for calculating required soakaway size (outside UK more commonly known as: dry well). Pit/well of this type is to first store immediate stormwater run-off and then slowly dissipate it through infiltration into surrounding soil. In this way water is treated on site and not discharged into public system. Stormwater control has become a very important aspect in recent years. In UK it is regulated under building regulations and discharge from new developments into public sewer cannot be higher than before construction of, say, house or building.
This software is very useful for both, large and small scale projects. It is recommended for civil engineers designing roads and hardstandings, structural engineers designing drainage for industrial and commercial developments, builders constructing domestic extensions or any land owner who wants to protect the environment by treating water on site.
- Can be easily used by a civil engineer, structural engineer, CAD technician as well as a builder or a regular house owner - no technical knowledge required;
- A clear and easy to read output (all on a single page);
- Three types of soakaways covered: trench/pit, perforated concrete ring in square pit, perforated concrete ring in circular pit;
- Pop-up window for easier selection of rainfall ratios - gives figures for larger cities;
- Calculates soil infiltration rate based on soakage trial pit test results;
- Adjustable infiltration through base (allowed with modular tanks);
- Adjustable allowance for climate change;
- Automatically calculates Z2 growth factor based on given rainfall ratio, M5-60 rainfall depth and rainfall duration;
- Covers ten rainfall duration periods: M1-D, M2-D, M3-D, M4-D, M5-D, M10-D, M20-D, M30-D, M50-D, M100-D;
- Calculates alternate soakaway sizes for different trench widths and ring diameters;
- Covers two site locations: England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland;
- Includes a 50% emptying time check;
- Design is based on BRE Digest 365.
(Note: macros must be enabled for proper working of the spreadsheet. Follow instructions in this video)
"The spreadsheet is perfect" Michael C.
"I downloaded the soakaway calculation spreadsheet, and to be honest was not expecting much. Considering other software is priced at £450! However - I am delighted, the software does all that I want, when the planners asked for a 1 in 30 year storm event instead of the normal 10 year I did panic a bit. But looking closely at the software it even gives you the ability to update this - 10 out of 10 !!!" Geoff Cawse