Continuous Beam Analysis Spreadsheet
User friendly spreadsheet for analysing continuous beams. In an easy to read form the spreadsheet presents moment / shear / deflection diagrams as well as gives critical values for each span. This spreadsheet can also be used for analysing single spans.
This is the spreadsheet that gave birth to this website. There were few main aims when designing this spreadsheet, listed below, and all were successfully achieved:
1) A reliable way to analyse continuous beams and save time on input of data;
2) A clear and easy to read output of results including graphs and tables;
3) Input data, graphs and numerical results on a single page;
4) A single, presentable page that can be printed and attached to your calculations;
5) Option to calculate singly supported, fixed and cantilevered beams.
The need for the above become present when I was using other software available on the market - both for 3d and 2d. These programs are of high quality but the approach, and hence the output, is too complex for a quick solution of continuous beam problems. The input takes too long and the results are usually on few pages which makes the solution hard to appreciate at a glance.
As a result a practical and easy to use and understand spreadsheet was produced.
- A clear and easy to read output (all on single page);
- Input up to 5 spans;
- Change support conditions (pinned, fixed or cantilever);
- Loading options: UDL, Partial UDL, 2x Point Load;
- 'Live' Loading diagram;
- Change between bending moment, shear and deflection diagram (or use combination);
- Change between deflection for Dead Load + Imposed Load or Imposed Load only;
- Changeable safety factors;
- Show diagrams under factored or unfactored loading;
- Option to change between SI units (metres, Newtons) and US units (feet, pounds);
- Compatible with older versions of Excel, like Excel 2000.
(Note: macros must be enabled for proper working of the spreadsheet. See this easy step-by-step guide)
"A great service, got my spreadsheet up and running in no time and saved me valuable time. Money well spent. Thanks." Stephen W.
"The spreadsheet of continuous beam analysis is really superb and very user friendly! Thanks" Vince P.
"I bought a single user license and followed with a company license so that all my engineers can use continuous beam spreadsheet. It is easy to use, fast and efficient. Thanks for that and please keep me updated on any development of the site" Mark